Legal English is a different language from general English. This course prepares you to understand and use legal English in your course of work. It is based on many years of experience in teaching lawyers, law students and legal translators from around the world.
Today, you might need accurate legal English because
- You are a lawyer and you use legal English every day.
- You have to deal with English-speaking clients and lawyers.
- You are often expected to interpret or amend long commercial contracts drafted in English.
- You receive letters and emails written in English on a daily basis.
What is TOLES?
TOLES refers to ‘Test of Legal English Skills’ in Britain. The TOLES program consists of a structured course of legal English training materials supported by three levels of professional exams. The exam levels are progressive steps towards reaching the standard of legal English required by employers such as international commercial law firms, in-house legal teams in private companies and top-class translators.
TOLES legal English training materials and exams have been developed following the advice of experienced commercial lawyers. The top requirements of employers are
- excellent drafting skills,
- first-class negotiating skills and
- a strong sense of commercial awareness.
The courses are designed to prepare candidates:
- To upgrade legal English skills to a level where you can sit TOLES exams.
- To facilitate translation of key legal concepts and terminology in Arabic.
We recommend this course for Lawyers, Judges, Law Students, Police Officers, Corporate officers, Anyone using legal English at Work or Privately.
TOLES Courses Levels
TOLES courses are divided into three levels:
- Foundation: This is Level-1 legal English. Suitable for beginner level. Focus on basic grammar and vocabulary. Encourages commercial awareness.
- Higher: This is Level-2 legal English. Suitable for intermediate level. Focus on intermediate grammar and vocabulary. A realistic introduction to work.
- Advanced: This is Level-3 legal English. Suitable for advanced level of English. Focus on near-native level grammar and vocabulary. The gold standard for commercial lawyers.