Things to Figure Out Before Starting Immigration Process

Do you feel like the time has come to change something dramatically in your life? Is there a feeling like there is a big future waiting ahead? Do you feel like you are capable of bigger things but you need more possibilities? Is it time to make a big move?


Just before you step ahead, make sure every detail is covered. So, we offer to your attention a quick guide on planning.
Firstly, figure out which place may be ideal for you.


Secondly, mind that there are several possible directions for leaving the country. Generally, there are the following suggestions:

  • to travel,
  • to study,
  • to work
  • to apply for citizenship, a permanent resident card or refugee protection


Thirdly, determine if you are eligible for application.

Here is the brief list of basic requirements according to the country, type of visa and the purpose of immigration:



Things to know about immigration to the USA

If you would like to study as a full-time student in the United States, you will need a student visa

  • You must be enrolled in an “academic” educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program
  • Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement
  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution
  • You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
  • You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study
  • You must maintain a residence abroad which you have no intention of giving up.


To work:

Many people want to come to the United States to work. To work in the United States, you must have one of the following:

  • A Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card),
  • An Employment Authorization Document (work permit), or
  • An employment-related visa which allows you to work for a particular employer.

Each of the documents listed above has different application requirements. To apply for one of the documents above, you must meet different requirements. If your application is approved, the conditions you must meet and how long you can work in the United States will depend on whether you receive a Green Card, work permit, or visa.


To apply for citizenship, a permanent resident card or refugee protectionа
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) handles citizenship applications, and here are the basic requirements you need to meet when applying for citizenship in the U.S.:

  • You already have a green card.
  • You are at least 18 years old.
  • You have lived in the U.S. lawfully as a permanent resident for at least five years unless you are a spouse of a U.S. citizen, refugee, or received your green card through political asylum.
  • During those five years, you have been physically present in the U.S. for at least half of the time.
  • You have not spent more than one year at a time outside the U.S.
  • You have not established a primary home in another country.
  • You have lived in the state or district where you are filing your application for at least three months.
  • You have “good moral character.”
  • You can read, write and speak English.
  • You can pass a test about U.S. history and government.
  • You will swear that you believe in the principles of the U.S. Constitution and will be loyal to the U.S.



To study

Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. The study permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada.
While studying in Canada under a study permit you must:

  • always be enrolled at a DLI
  • make progress towards completing your program
  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires

Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:

  • the level of studies you can attend
  • if you are allowed to work in Canada
  • if you can’t travel within Canada
  • the date you must stop studying


To work

Things to know about immigration to Australia

Each immigration process has different application and eligibility requirements.
Canada’s Start-up Visa Program targets immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build businesses in Canada that:

  • are innovative
  • can create jobs for Canadians
  • can compete on a global scale

If you are an international investor with the skills and abilities needed to contribute to the economy and integrate into Canadian society, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residence under the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital (IIVC) Pilot Program.
You must meet all of the requirements listed below to be eligible to apply under the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program.


To apply for citizenship, a permanent resident card or refugee protection

A permanent resident is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries.
To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, you must meet all conditions, including:

  • Permanent Resident status
  • Time you have lived in Canada
  • Income tax filing
  • Language skills
  • How well you know Canada
  • Prohibitions



To study

Student visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognized education institution.
Make sure you’ve applied for and been accepted to study in a registered full-time course at an educational institution in Australia; organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.


To work

There is a wide range of visas you may apply for as soon as you’ve decided to immigrate to Australia, which depend on various conditions.
Applicants may be eligible for one of the following five visa subclasses:

  • Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) (Subclass 401) visa
  • Training and Research (Subclass 402) visa
  • Temporary Work (International Relations) (Subclass 403) visa
  • Temporary Work (Entertainment)(Subclass 420) visa
  • Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa.


Temporary Work Visa

To apply for citizenship, a permanent resident card or refugee protection
There are several Refugee and humanitarian visa subclasses for such purpose:

  • Global Special Humanitarian (subclass 202)
  • In country Special Humanitarian (subclass 201)
  • Protection visa (subclass 866)
  • Refugee visa (subclass 200)
  • Women at Risk visa (subclass 204)
  • Emergency rescue visa (subclass 203)


New Zealand

To study

If you’re planning to study here full time for more than three months you’ll need a student visa.
Student visa requirements include:

  • an offer of place from an educational institution approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority
  • a written guarantee from an institution or person that suitable accommodation is available to you in New Zealand (if you’re under 18 years)
  • evidence of sufficient funds to live on while you are studying
  • a return air ticket to your country, or evidence of sufficient funds to buy one.


To work

What is on a work visa?

Things to know about immigration to the New Zealand

A work visa will state the expiry date of your visa, the expiry date of your travel conditions (if you have any), and the conditions of your visa. The conditions may include:

  • the type of employment
  • the employer’s name
  • where in New Zealand you can work
  • the minimum remuneration level you must receive
  • the requirement that you provide evidence of remuneration if required.


To apply for citizenship, a permanent resident card or refugee protection

You can apply for NZ citizenship if you have lived here as a resident for at least the last 5 years. To be eligible, you also need to meet good character and English requirements.
Applying for citizenship as an immigrant is called ‘citizenship by grant’.

You can apply for New Zealand citizenship by grant if:

  • you have been living as a resident here for at least the last 5 years
  • you intend to keep living here
  • you speak basic English, and
  • you are of good character.

If you do not meet these requirements, you may be able to get citizenship by descent if one of your parents is a New Zealand citizen by birth or grant.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *